Saturday, May 18, 2013

Clarifying directions

So, I didn't blog last night because I was a bit tipsy and really tired. But yesterday's goal was clarifying instructions for kids. Suggestions were getting down on their level when talking to them, having them repeat it, saying it in more than one way.  Actual carry out was more like this: "Edward, pick up the bag and take it to the garbage. <pause, repeat with more emphasis in a way that you would never talk to your friends> Edward, Pick Up the Bag, and Take It to the Garbage."  On the other hand, since I was checking to make sure they were following through (not the ideal way to check for understanding), I didn't get angry when I told them something and they just didn't do it. Baby steps.

Because I'm aready halfway through today, I'm going to just work on a combination of all the tips so far, so today is:
5-1 ratio in the love banks (5 positive interactions are required to make up for one negative interaction
Commenting on everything they are doing
Giving them the same respect I give adults
Clarifying instructions.

I am also somewhat exhausted from Thursday's all day outing with the kids, Friday's late night with the kids, and a birthday party today. My inner introvert needs a recharge. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment