Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Love languages....

I was recently able to join a dear friend on a spur of the moment adventure to a waterpark.  She scored free tickets and knew I was crazy enough to drive 3 hours and take the kids out of school to do it. I did, and the kids had a great time.  My mom never did anything spur of the moment, so I think I try to make up for it by being up for doing almost anything, no matter how crazy. My husband knows better than to try to talk me out of stuff and just sighs and goes about his business.

There's a book I skimmed once that said there were 5 love languages that people speak to varying degrees.  Words, acts of service, quality time, physical touch, and gifts. I suck at quality time.  Spending time at home with the kids playing pretend, or doing games and crafts makes time seem to slow down to a trickle.  I am an acts of service person. Doing totally insane stuff for my kids is the easiest way for me to show love.  I feel bad though, since even during acts of service, quality time is important. I find it no easier to spend good quality time with them in vacation destination than it is at home. Sometimes it's even harder than at home since I'm exhausted from traveling.

But I don't think acts of service really shows love, at least not for kids. Kids are pretty egocentric at this age anyway, so doing acts of service could just be spoiling them.  Just another area to work on I guess.

I think tomorrow I'll work on the words part of love language. Still easier than quality time.


No comments:

Post a Comment